Sonntag, 8. Mai 2011

THE GRASS IS SINGING by Doris Lessing

THE GRASS IS SINGING by Doris Lessing caused a sensation when it was published in 1950 - it was Doris Lessing's first novel.



South Africa. The farmer’s wife Mary is killed. Her murderer, the black “boy” Moses, is very soon arrested while Mary’s husband Dick seems to have completely lost his mind.

In review the reader is told how this tragedy could happen.




As far as I remember I have not read any book about South Africa yet. (Northern Africa – yes. But not the southern part.)



I really, really enjoyed the first part in which Mary’s life in the town as a single girl is described – and how (because in the opinion of her friends it is not natural for a girl to stay unmarried) she changes her life and marries Dick – which will make both unhappy (and causes them to behave unfair) - this book teaches a lot about prejudices (sexism, racism…)

I liked the end very much, too – and I simply love the title. This book was able to depress me while I was reading it – just because the mood is captured so well.





The German title is AFRIKANISCHE TRAGÖDIE (=African Tragedy) - I love the original title - not that much the German one..




THE GRASS IS SINGING fits into my FORGOTTEN TREASURES CHALLENGE.

Read about my progress in this challenge here.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Every comment makes me happy - because than I know there is someone out there reading this! ;")

Thank you for commenting! I am reading every comment you'll make - and when I can think of an answer I will post it. ;")